[pdftex] Pdflatex error: Bad metric (TFM) file

Roboco Sanchez roboco at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 08:43:22 CEST 2004

I first came across this problem months ago when I was helping someone
to install OpenType fonts Cronos Pro on teTeX. He did the converstion
using lcdf-typetools 2.2 on SuSE 8 or 9 I can't remember. He got the
same error as yours. When I tried it for him on my Slackware 9.1 I had
no problem so I asked for his pfb, tfm, vf, etc. Once I checked those
files I found that some of his tfm's were one byte shorter than mine.
Most of the files were *--base.tfm. Once analyzed further the missing
byte of each *--base.tfm was the same byte as the last byte of its
non-base counterpart. So, if you have bad tfm problem with X--base.tfm
then add the last byte of X.tfm to it and problem solved.

We concluded that it's the problem in lcdf-typetools. I asked him to
report the author. Not sure if he did though.

Rob.