[pdftex] Pdflatex error: Bad metric (TFM) file

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Mon Aug 9 03:05:50 CEST 2004

From: Roboco Sanchez <roboco at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [pdftex] Pdflatex error: Bad metric (TFM) file
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 23:16:32 +0100

> I think you can get rid of the error msg,
>
>  ! Font \csname\endcsname=LY1-Jenson-Regular--fonum--base at 17.28pt
>  not loadabl e: Bad metric (TFM) file.
>
> by adding one byte of 0xc6 to LY1-Jenson-Regular--fonum--base.tfm.

This is confirmed!

So if the problem for which I got three gray hairs was like that, it
raises a few questions...

1. is it easy to change pdftex? Making it so that Bad metric file is
   only warned with non-fatal warning and does not stop using that
   type may be good.

2. is it easy to explain what should be added or not added to the
   tfm's made by otftotfm? I actually contacted Eddie Kohler about
   this and other issues, and he is interested in fixing the prblem on
   his part but he personally doesn't use pdflatex.

The reason why 2 is not enough is that I have a few other fonts for
which pdflatex complains about bad tfm files, which are created from
afm or other formats. For these, pdftex needs to be modified, or a new
program to fix those tfm files needs to be made.

Thanks!

Ryuji Suzuki