[OS X TeX] More font problems

Stephen Anderson sra at yale.edu
Tue Nov 3 19:43:34 CET 2009

In trying to deal with the Snow Leopard font problem I have already
asked about on this list, I discovered that I had inadvertently been
using gwTeX even after installing TexLive 2008, because of a path
coded into TeXShop.  I also downloaded and installed TexLive-2009,
hoping that would solve my other problem (it didn't).  But now I
discover a new problem.

I have some other fonts (Adobe Garamond, most notably) that aren't in
the TeX distribution and that I use all the time.  I installed them
long ago, and thus all of the relevant support files for LaTeX use are
on the machine.  But they are in /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local/fonts/,
and when TeXLive200[89] got installed, a directory /usr/local/texlive/
texmf.local/fonts/ was created, but my font files from gwTeX weren't
put there and the relevant fonts weren't enabled.  I have been
protected from this knowledge by the mistake that led me to go on
using gwTeX even after I thought I had switched.....

I know this is an incredibly tedious question that has been asked (and
answered) many times, but could some kind soul take the time to answer
it again for me?  How do I go about getting the same local font
functionality in TeXLive that I had in gwTeX?  Since the internal
structure of the texmf.local/fonts directory seems to be different
from that in the old one, and in any case I don't remember the magical
incantations to make things work after this directly is properly
populated, I need help.

Thanks in advance,

--

Steve Anderson