[OS X TeX] [OT] Scams. WAS: viewing printing TexShop pdf on a PC

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Apr 29 00:31:26 CEST 2005

On 4/28/05 5:17 PM, "Bruno Voisin" <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:

> By the way (and getting completely OT): unfortunately, it seems more
> and more necessary to look at the source code of email messages, in
> relation to scam. Today, for example, I received an HTML message,
> supposedly from PayPal, looking fairly professional and very much like
> a PayPal one, until you look at the source and locate, buried within,
> hyperlinks like:

> target="_blank">https://www.paypal.fr/privacy</a>
>
> so that obviously the link is not what it pretend it does. Or yesterday
> and several times before, also messages pretending to be from PayPal
> but containing more elaborate false hyperlinks like:

> alt='www.paypal.com'onMouseOver="status='http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/
> webscr?cmd=login-run'; return true"onMouseOut="status='';return
>
> How annoying!
>
> Bruno Voisin

Howdy,

I've gotten many of these over the last few months. The answer is to NEVER
click on any hyperlink unless you asked for it to be sent to you. NEVER
expand html. Keep everything text only.

I even got something like this from Ebay that looked just as professional
and I have never been on Ebay!

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>