[OS X TeX] [OT] Scams. WAS: viewing printing TexShop pdf on a PC

John A. Johnson johajohn at indiana.edu
Fri Apr 29 18:32:05 CEST 2005

On 28 Apr, 2005, at 19:00, TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List wrote:

> Subject: [OT] Scams. WAS: viewing printing TexShop pdf on a PC
> From: "Herb Schulz" <herbs at wideopenwest.com>
> Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:31:26 -0500
>
> On 4/28/05 5:17 PM, "Bruno Voisin" <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:
>

>> By the way (and getting completely OT): unfortunately, it seems more
>> and more necessary to look at the source code of email messages, in
>> relation to scam. Today, for example, I received an HTML message,
>> supposedly from PayPal, looking fairly professional and very much like
>> a PayPal one, until you look at the source and locate, buried within,
>> hyperlinks like:

[snip]

>> How annoying!
>>
>> Bruno Voisin
>>

> Howdy,
>
> I've gotten many of these over the last few months. The answer is to
> NEVER
> click on any hyperlink unless you asked for it to be sent to you. NEVER
> expand html. Keep everything text only.

I just got an e-mail, AFAICT from PayPal. The first thing that I
noticed about it was that while they were directing me to the Paypal
site to view a statement or something, they didn't include a link. They
just used plain text so that you would have to enter the link yourself.
That's not bad, actually.

I mostly don't bother to examine junk mail, and by default everything
from Paypal and eBay goes into the junk folder. I'll open it up (text
only) and if there are lilnks directing me to 'update', 'verify',
'confirm' or anything else like that, it's gone. No need to look at the
source, as I'll never click on one of those links anyway, no need to
check the headers to see whether it actually came from paypal, as I'm
not going to do what they tell me to do anyway. Basically, I rely on
sites that I have accounts with to put a message on my account at the
site, rather than sending me e-mail.

Later,
John

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>