[gentium] font variants for pdflatex

pavel.farar at centrum.cz pavel.farar at centrum.cz
Thu May 25 12:44:54 CEST 2023

>So I guess it doesn’t use the .ttf files, but if the Type1 fonts are
>sufficiently identical to the TTF ones, this should work.

The standard and safe way is using Type 1 fonts. It works not only for pdfTeX,
but also for other engines. pdfTeX can use both Type 1 and TrueType fonts (if
the font package supports it).

The package gentium gives you the choice to use either the original TrueType
fonts, or the converted Type 1 version. For this, there are *.map files.

Commands updmap-sys (global) or updmap (for user) can enable or disable some
map file (that means activate/deactivate the TrueType or Type 1 version of
some font).

You disable the Type 1 fonts with:

updmap-sys --disable gentium-type1.map

Now, pdfLaTeX can not create documents with Gentium fonts.

Then, you can enable the TrueType fonts:

updmap-sys --enable Map=gentium-truetype.map

I thought that this is described in the PDF documentation of the gentium-tug
package, but it is not. I should add at least some short note that you can use
both Type 1 and TrueType fonts. I think this is rather exception than rule.

If you only use pdfTeX, you can use the original TrueType fonts.