[edutex] Introduction

Johannes Böttcher johannesbottcher at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 19:05:28 CEST 2016

On 09/01/2016 05:01 PM, Boris Veytsman wrote:
  > (1) who you are, (2) what
  > is your education experience, (3) what is your TeX experience, (4)
  > what do you expect from the group, and (5) what can you offer to the
  > group.

Hi everybody.

My name is Johannes Böttcher and i am still just a student of Materials
Science. I have been using LaTeX for about five years, providing support
online for about four years now.

I have been given a few introductory courses to LaTeX, with a different
interest of people. It is a matter of advertisement, if the university
library is on board and in charge of ads, up to seventy people come to
such a course. Usually, a number of twenty to thirty people can be
expected for our 5000 student university. I am also looking after the
LaTeX-Wikibook, which is in a bad shape. Sometimes i feel like just
hitting the *delete* button (see [1]).

I hope we can discuss how we can get the use of LaTeX more widespread.
Online compilers seem like a very good idea, since no installation is
needed. Good for trying stuff out.
I think we finally have to find answers to the question: What is a
template? [1, 2, 3] And how starters should be *steered* into using a
special kind of template.

What i can offer? An opinion when needed and my full support. There is
stuff that needs to be dealt with and this list is a good opportunity to
do so in a direct manner.

Best regards from Germany
Johannes

[1] http://tug.org/TUGboat/tb36-3/tb114beet.pdf