[edutex] Introduction

Darin England engl0124 at umn.edu
Fri Sep 23 17:50:15 CEST 2016

Hi everyone,

A quick introduction:

> (1) who you are, (2) what
  > is your education experience, (3) what is your TeX experience, (4)
  > what do you expect from the group, and (5) what can you offer to the
  > group.

1. My name is Darin England. I am an Assistant Teaching Professor in the
Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering at the University of
Minnesota, Twin Cities.

2. I teach a few different courses in the area of Operations Research (and
in particular Probability and Statistics).

3. I have used LaTeX for a number of years to create homeworks, exams, and
write articles. Recently I have been using tikz/pgfplots quite a bit.

4. I hope to make some contacts and learn some things!

5. I don't have a concrete idea of what I can offer, but I am willing to
get involved. I have always liked the philosophy of using a mark-up
language to create documents. I have had the idea of offering a workshop on
using LaTeX here at the University.

Best Regards,

Darin

On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 12:05 PM Johannes Böttcher <
johannesbottcher at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/01/2016 05:01 PM, Boris Veytsman wrote:
>   > (1) who you are, (2) what
>   > is your education experience, (3) what is your TeX experience, (4)
>   > what do you expect from the group, and (5) what can you offer to the
>   > group.
>

> Hi everybody.
>
> My name is Johannes Böttcher and i am still just a student of Materials
> Science. I have been using LaTeX for about five years, providing support
> online for about four years now.
>
> I have been given a few introductory courses to LaTeX, with a different
> interest of people. It is a matter of advertisement, if the university
> library is on board and in charge of ads, up to seventy people come to
> such a course. Usually, a number of twenty to thirty people can be
> expected for our 5000 student university. I am also looking after the
> LaTeX-Wikibook, which is in a bad shape. Sometimes i feel like just
> hitting the *delete* button (see [1]).
>
> I hope we can discuss how we can get the use of LaTeX more widespread.
> Online compilers seem like a very good idea, since no installation is
> needed. Good for trying stuff out.
> I think we finally have to find answers to the question: What is a
> template? [1, 2, 3] And how starters should be *steered* into using a
> special kind of template.
>
> What i can offer? An opinion when needed and my full support. There is
> stuff that needs to be dealt with and this list is a good opportunity to
> do so in a direct manner.
>
> Best regards from Germany
> Johannes
>

> [1] http://tug.org/TUGboat/tb36-3/tb114beet.pdf
> [2] http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/309614/
> [3] https://github.com/johannesbottcher/templateConfusion/
>
> --
Darin England, PhD
Assistant Teaching Professor
Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
University of Minnesota
111 Church Street S.E.
Minneapolis, MN 55455
tel: 612-625-6742