[twg-tds] font map and encoding files

Karl Berry karl@freefriends.org
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 19:23:40 -0500

    I'll have to look at pdftex's map files a little more.

Is the "pdftex map file" the file TEXMF/pdftex/config/rawfonts.map?
That looks like the same syntax as dvips to me.

Regardless, I guess I can imagine different programs having different
map file syntax, if not now, then in the future.  So perhaps the
canonical location for existing map files should be
  texmf/fonts/map/dvips/.../foo.map
to leave the door open for other sorts of map files.
We want the usual font tree subdirectories there, right?

The same is true for encoding files?
  texmf/fonts/enc/dvips/foo.enc
No subdirectories, there should be only one encoding of a given name per
syntax.

Am I off the mark?