[twg-tds] font map and encoding files

Karl Berry karl@freefriends.org
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 16:43:55 -0500

      fonts/map/<utility>/<package>
    for map files.

I don't think it's precisely different utilities that count, but rather
different syntaxes.  For example, dvips and xdvi and pdftex are all
different programs, yet they use the same mapping files.

Since the psfonts.map syntax originated with dvips, I proposed to call
the syntax "dvips" as well.

    I don't think that grouping by font types makes sense.

I agree.

    I have no idea about enc files, but I assume that these are
    utility-specific, too. So, again, I'd group them that way:
      fonts/enc/<utility>

Again, fonts/enc/<syntax>, with the existing enc files as `dvips'.

How does that sound?