[yandytex] Y&Y Fonts in Windows 2000

Eddie Mizzi geometric at btconnect.com
Mon Sep 4 11:59:14 CEST 2006

Hello, I've just joined the group. Up till now I've been running Y&Y TeX
(ver 2.1.5) under Windows 98. I've recently installed the system on a new
machine running Windows 2000 and have a couple of font glitches.

(1) When I first start up DVIWindo and open a DVI file, I get the following
WINFONTS error message:

"Face Name: FranklinGotTDem...
Full Name: FranklinGotTDemCon
Name error in some TT font (Probably auto-converted T1 font).
Run the SETUPTTF utility
(Or move FOT and TTF files to empty directory.
Remove font; then Add ... using fonts in Control Panel)"

Clicking OK or Cancel gets rid of the Message Box and usually the DVI file
opens OK. I'd still like to stop the message box appearing, however. I've
done both the things it advises, but the problem persists (and I don't even
have Franklin Gothic). Any ideas on how to resolve this?

(2) More seriously, I also have a problem  with the Type 1 Courier font
(com.pfb, com.pfm). When I open a DVI file containing this font, I get the
WINANAL error message:

"Can't find Font: com (7), No Face Name (Windows offers: 'Arial') at byte
455". The wrong font appears both on screen and in the printout. The com.pfb
and .pfm files are in the usual PSFONTS and PSFONTS/PFM folders and a copy
of the com.pfm file is clearly in the WINNT/Fonts folder. It seems to be
only this font that is problematic and it wasn't a problem under Windows 98.
I suspect a conflict with one of the Windows 2000 system Courier fonts. I
see from the archives that someone else has experienced this problem, but
there was no mention of how it was resolved. I'd be very grateful for any
help.

Many thanks, Eddie

Eddie Mizzi
The Geometric Press, Oxford, England