[yandytex] Printing from DVIWindo

Ganz, Frank, Springer US Frank.Ganz at springer.com
Tue Oct 24 23:31:36 CEST 2006

Dear Virgil,

Do you (1) print the DVI to the printer directly or (2) do you print to
PostScript file?

I have a hunch that case (1) is true.

While I have no experience with this situation, since I never print to
the printer directly, this would sound the most reasonable scenario. I
could imagine that the software has a built-in protection against
printing when not all resources (i.e. fonts) are provided.

What the message might refer to is the fact that some images, which I
imagine must be EPS, do not provide fonts. Note, that EPS files do not
share system resources. This is done on purpose, to protect against
overrides when graphics are placed on text pages, graphics and text
properties won't cancel each other out or cause unwanted changes. So,
even if the font that's used inside the EPS file is available on your
computer, it won't be used!

What would help this situation is to print to PS first. Then distill to
PDF, at which point the Distiller would call your system fonts if they
are missing in the EPS. If you print that PDF, you'll have no such
problem apart from the question that the author of the EPS graphics
might want a chance to redo his/her work, i.e. to provide his/her
version of the fonts.

If my assumptions are correct, it would explain why it works sometimes
and not other times. Some EPS files you get have fonts embedded in them,
others don't. When they are not embedded, even when available on your
computer, you can't print.

Hope this helps!
Frank