[yandytex] Using YandY

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat May 20 20:36:15 CEST 2006

     I am wondering to what extent the devlopment environment including
     the MS libraries, etc, has to be preserved in order to be able to
     compile new binaries from the source code.

I have no idea.  But I know we cannot redistribute the MS libraries in
any way, so I have to take them out.  I hope that any future work will
be done with a freely available compiler and/or installer, but hey,
that's just me :).

     Another question would be if a binary distribution for Y&Y TeX can be
     packaged for download

Not as far as I can see.  TUG is not in a position to try to sell and
support a commercial TeX distribution (we have no paid technical staff),
especially one that is umpteen years old, even if we wanted to (which I,
personally, would not be in favor of).  Meanwhile, on the technical
side, it's far from obvious how to "remove the fonts" and remake the
distribution anyway ...

     It seems that there are people around who are interested in using
     Y&Y but haven't had a chance to purchase it.

Yeah.  Such is life.  If people want a commercial distribution for
Windows, there are still several out there.  If they want a free
distribution, my recommendation is protext (http://tug.org/protext).

Best,
Karl