[yandytex] font problem with dviwindo copy & paste to Powerpoint, then PDF conversion

Jochen Autschbach jautschbach at yahoo.com
Mon May 15 01:44:31 CEST 2006

Hello

I have a problem with (the latest version of) dviwindo / Y&Y tex
equation copy & paste to Powerpoint and subsequent conversion of the PP
presentation to PDF. As long as I use Y&Y's MathTime fonts
(\usepackage{mathtimy}) a PDF created with Adobe Acrobat's powerpoint
plugin is fine. If I use Y&Y's Lucida fonts, most of the Math symbols
do not show up properly in the PDF. Same with the new MathTime Pro II
package from pctex. For example, a calligraphic boldface "B" shows up
in the PDF as an underscore (I tried using the lucidacal option with
MathTime). Strangely, I can use Acrobat's text edit features, select
the character, and type the B and the calligraphic character shows up
properly, but then Acrobat usually destroys the formula layout when
editing characters in an equation so this is not a workaround. Using
MathTime Pro all equations look "funny" in the PDF (almost every math
symbol is wrong) but in Powerpoint the equations look correct. However,
I need the PDF conversion in order to exchange PP presentations with
other peole who don't have the fonts installed.

Am I the only person who has that problem or has someone else
encountered it, too? Is this a bug in dviwindo, powerpoint, acrobat,
distiller? Is there a fix / workaround other than sticking to Y&Y
MathTime?

Jochen