[yandytex] Lucida fonts with lucimatx in YandY: TeX's OK, preview bombs

Walter Schmidt w.a.schmidt at gmx.net
Wed Mar 22 20:16:43 CET 2006

Murray Eisenberg schrieb:
> What would get renamed to what under your suggestion?  The newly
> distributed Lucida pfb's and pfm's have the following names:
>
>     lbc.pfm   and lbc.pfb
>     lbd.pfm   etc.
> [...]
>
> But the tfm's have names:
>
> hlcbot8a.tfm
>     hlcbot8c.tfm
>     hlcbot8r.tfm [etc}

In TeX systems such as teTeX and MikTeX, the relation between
TFMs and PFBs is established by a so-called "font map file".
Its entries say, for instance

hlhr8y LucidaBright "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <lbr.pfb

which means:

The TFM with the name "hlhr8y" refers to the font file lbr.pfb,
with the internal /FontName "LucidaBright", and reencoded to
TeXNANSI encoding using the encoding file texnansi.enc

Another example:

hlcrim LucidaNewMath-Italic <lbmi.pfb

Here, the TFM "hlcrim" refers to the font file lbmi.pfb;
the internal /FontName is "LucidaNewMath", and no reencoding
is applied.

The distribution includes a map lucida.map in the directory
texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lucida.  This files works for teTeX,
MikTeX, etc.

I don't know how Y&Y-TeX would establish the relation between
TFMs and physical font files.  Is it using a sort of "map file",
too?  If yes, you can perhaps adopt lucida.map or, at least,
take it as a starting point to create a map file for Y&Y-TeX.
And, of course, you would have to remove existing map file entries
that refer to the (non-standard) TFM names of the Lucida fonts
used previously in Y&Y-TeX.

Note, however, that all TFMs whose names end with "8r" are
irrelevant for Y&Y-TeX, and the related map file entries can
be ignored.  Only the TFMs ending with "8y", plus those for
the math fonts, are useful in Y&Y-TeX.   Also, you need not
install any TFMs whose names end with "8t" or "8c", and which
have to related map file entries, anyway.

Disclaiamer:  I know alsmost nothing about Y&Y-TeX, and I am
nor running a M$ Win system, so I cannot try out my above
sugestions in practice.  I just hope that I could point _you_
to the right direction.

HTH
Walter