[yandytex] "overcite" package and punctuation

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 24 18:19:50 CEST 2006

>     In the test document below, the unwanted space before the punctuation
>
> FWIW -- in my experience, the best way to debug spurious space problems
> is to put \loggingall in the source as near before the problem as you
> can manage, run TeX, then inspect the resulting .log file for the phrase
> "blank space ".  It is usually not too hard to determine which macro
> inserted the space.
>
> (Typically it's something like a missing % after a } inside a macro
> definition.)

srcltx is known to cause layout problems (look at the docs, and it
warns you to disable the package before final printing).  having said
which, i can't replicate the effect on my tetex system here (i've not
tried on my miktex system).

preliminary hypotheses:

1. spaces in the macros: not likely, given the author, and i don't see
   any sign, looking at the code.

2. current tetex & miktex are using 3.141592, and iirc y&y is using
   3.14159: i can't imagine any of the bugfixes having anything like
   this effect.  similarly, the fact that tetex & miktex are both
   pdfetex engines (if the error was the other way around --
   valid-looking tex code misbehaving on tetex, for example) i might
   suspect the extensions.

3. the srcltx \specials are bothering y&y even worse than they bother
   miktex.

unfortunately, i can't test the sample program on y&y: i've a couple
of duff y&y distros, but no working one.  as karl says, a \tracingall
log file might be interesting.