current state of Y&Y web site

Blenda Horn Blenda_Carlisle at MSN.COM
Mon Feb 7 16:32:47 CET 2005

Hi Meems,

Oh my goodness, OUCH!    I had no idea that they were selling underwear.  He said (it is his wife's store) it is a clothing store.

Sigh....  I do not think there was a way to choose who buys the domain name.  The buyer in this case gave minimum information.

Thanks for forwarding the email Mimi.

Love,
Blenda.

PS. Dave cancelled today's meeting, he will be here tomorrow.

----- Original Message -----
  From: Mimi Burbank<mailto:mimi at CSIT.FSU.EDU>
  To: YANDYTEX at LISTS.UCC.IE<mailto:YANDYTEX at LISTS.UCC.IE>
  Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 3:56 PM
  Subject: Re: current state of Y&Y web site

  On Feb07 02:15PM, Moreland Hogan wrote:
  > It's been taken over by an underware company in Arizona--the ultimate
  > degradation!

  tee hee  ;-)       the "domain name" was sold  ....    and
  I believe it is now pronounced  "yandie"   ;-)

  > Seriously, there are people out there like me, a TeX user since
  > 198-something who migrated (under pressure from a long job that couldn't
  > accept TeX's habit of moving figures around without warning) to
  > FrameMaker.Bjut I still kept my Y&Y TeX up to date until moving to
  > Windows XP. Would like to return to the brave days (TeX) of yesteryear,
  > specifically with the last revision of Y&Y. Any possibility of getting
  > online again: there must be legions (or at least a crowd) of Y&Y people.

  actually there is a cure for that  "moving"  ;-)   you set specific
  penalties and then make sure you don't have too many floats on a
  stack  and things tend to work out just fine ...   If you are doing
  endlessly long documents, then it behooves you to do a
  \clearpage    at some poing here and there to clear the stack
  of floats...   (can be done between chapters for example) ...

  and if you are including a bzillion graphics in a row - then
  periodically do a \clearpage  just to clea the stick, because
  tex (not *latex*) will put them *all* on a stick and then barf
  all over you  ;-)

  %% always important to have in your file
  \widowpenalty=10000
  \clubpenalty=10000

  %% these next penalties force text on a page with figures and
  %% otherwise *help* prevent fig 5 coming before fig 2  ;-) and other
  %% such misadventures...   dimensions can be 0.95 etc...   you
  %% can play with the numbers to achieve the "tightness" you want

  \renewcommand{\topfraction}{0.9}
  \renewcommand{\bottomfraction}{0.5}
  \renewcommand{\floatpagefraction}{0.8}
  \renewcommand{\textfraction}{0.1}
  \setcounter{bottomnumber}{2}
  \setcounter{totalnumber}{4}
  \renewcommand{\dbltopfraction}{0.9}
  \renewcommand{\dblfloatpagefraction}{0.8}

  %%   the next ones allow a little more "looseness" on your page
  \pretolerance=500
  \tolerance=1000
  \hyphenpenalty=400

  mimi