DVI previewer gone haywire (fwd) -- solution??

Herbert Gintis hgintis at COMCAST.NET
Tue Nov 9 10:45:49 CET 2004

At 10:10 AM 11/9/2004, LMS journals wrote:

>This might be worth remembering, if anyone else hits the same problem, where
>the screen "freezes" on an hourglass, and even Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work!
>I'd be interested if anyone has a technical explanation that might help us
>to pre-empt...
         Windows XP has much better memory management than either 95 or 98.
I have never had a screen freeze using XP. Never ever. Once in a while the
system will overuse its resources and disable the video update, so it looks
like a freeze. But, after an appropriate interval (I have had to wait up to
60 seconds when a lot of things are going on at once), but it has always
come back on line.

Herb Gintis

>Thanks again
>
>Sue

Herbert Gintis
External Faculty, Santa Fe
Institute
Emeritus Professor, University of Massachusetts
15 Forbes Avenue, Northampton, MA 01060
413-586-7756  (Home Office) 206-984-9873 (Fax)
Recent papers are posted on my <http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~gintis>web site.
Get Game Theory Evolving (Princeton, 2000) at
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0691009430/qid=1057311870/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-8882889-4632849?v=glance&s=books>Amazon.com
Look for Moral Sentiments and Material Interests (MIT Press, 2005)
Look for Unequal Chances: Family Background and
   Economic Success (Princeton UP, 2004)
Get Foundations of Human Sociality: Economic Experiments
   and   Ethnographic Evidence from Fifteen Small-scale
   Societies (Oxford UP, 2004).
Quote of the week:
      Raffiniert is der Herrgott, aber boshaft is Er nicht.
      (God is crafty, but He is not malicious)
                                         Albert Einstein