Lucida fonts in pdf files (fwd)

Frank Ganz fganz at SPRINGER-NY.COM
Wed Mar 3 09:55:16 CET 2004

Embedded subset or "embedded and subsetted" as it appears in the Acrobat document properties window under fonts is what Y&YTeX users know as "partial font downloading."

All fonts must be embedded and subsetted, otherwise the font that is stored inside your PDF file will not be sent to the output device if it is among the font set known to the RIP.

What actually happens when one subsets is that

(1) only the characters that find use in the document are embedded and
(2) the font is renamed by having abritrary letters added to the orignal font name, e.g.: /Times-Roman might be renamed to /XYRTXO-Times-Roman.

The renaming is done to avoid font substitutions. That is why it is required.

Christina's concern reads to me, though, that there is an issue with licensing. Some font manufacturers disallowed the embedding and subsetting of their fonts.

Frank