Lucida fonts in pdf files (fwd)

Troels Roussau Johansen troelsj at MATH.LSU.EDU
Wed Mar 3 02:01:10 CET 2004

> Wonderful!  So that's how to actually _do_ the bit that's just
> described as `only allow partial font downloading' ... like _that_
> means more than Greek to me!!

Just means that the PDF file only contains the characters that is actually
being used (reduces file size and is required ;) )

> I'm having to also have a back-up option (I'm figuring Concrete + CM),
> in the event the publisher doesn't want to get involved with actually
> paying for fonts ;-))

If you can install Concrete fonts, there is also a concmath-package ;-)

> To generate .pdf from dvipsone output, I'd have to have
> (a.k.a. actually buy ;-) ) Acrobat Distiller, right?  I have ps2pdf,
> and so far, that's worked just fine for files produced on the unixbox
> -- files that don't use any commercial fonts. But I'm pretty sure that
> at some point, I'm going to have to progress to the actual Adobe
> product ...

dvipsone subsets fonts, so as long as ps2pdf knows the location of the
commercial fonts, it shouldn't be an issue (?)

> > Oh, here's a question. There are also security features for saving
> > .pdf files, I've heard (I guess this is one of those things that only
> > Distiller would do, and not ps2pdf). Does anyone have comments or
> > experience with that part?

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/cvs/Ps2pdf.htm ;-)

/Troels