Lucida fonts in pdf files

Troels Roussau Johansen troelsj at MATH.LSU.EDU
Mon Mar 1 22:42:59 CET 2004

Hi Christina

I hope this works (can't find my password to the listserver); I just got an
answer from the support guys the other day:

From: "Troels Roussau Johansen" <xxx>
Date:  Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:52:21 -0500

>I am currently writing my Ph.D dissertation in mathematics and have been
>looking at alternatives for the computer modern fonts in LaTeX. Since the
>dissertation will have to be published online as a PDF file (degree
>requirement), my question is this: Does the current license on either the
>Lucida Bright font family or the Mathtime font family allow such an online
>publication?

Hi Troels,

Yes you may use your fonts for online publishing.

I am attaching information for you about online publishing.  If you need any
further assistance let me know.

Regards,
Blenda.

So on closer inspection of acrobat.txt, it is safe to say you are permitted to
put something on the Internet 'as an individual'. But since you specifically
mentioned something about a journal, I think the following paragraph applies
to you:

"For electronic journals and books, a special `Electronic Publishing
(FTP/WWW)' license is available for publishing Acrobat PDF files made
according to the rules in `How to Make Conforming Acrobat PDF Files'
on the InterNet for FTP and/or WWW access.

Note that in this situtation, the end user does *not* get the fonts for
use in other work, and each article contains the (partial) fonts, making
the file size somewhat larger than if the fonts were not included.

There is no time limit or volume limit on such an `Electronic Publishing
(WWW/FTP)' license.

The cost of an `Electronic Publishing (FTP/WWW)' license is ten times
the cost of an individual end user license."

> If Lucida's a no-go, then I'll have to look at another option ;-(
> ... and it's such a lovely _different_ font set ;-(

There are several free alternatives, like the combination "pifont+pxfonts",
"eulervm+charter", "fourier" etc., but the math fonts might seem a little bit
unusual (so math and text do not blend that well, most of the time). There are
other reasons to consider the licensed fonts, too ;-)

Best regards,
Troels