Too many TT fonts installed

Murray Eisenberg murray at MATH.UMASS.EDU
Tue Jun 29 20:42:45 CEST 2004

Forgive me if I posted similarly to a similar message some weeks or
months ago...

I'm using Adobe Type Manager Deluxe 4.1 on my Windows XP Professional
machine together with DVIwindo 2.2.1 without any apparent difficulties
(but see below) and to good effect.

In programs where I need to select a font, e.g., in a web-authoring
program, by means of a drop-down menu of all available fonts, using Type
Manager Deluxe means I don't have to look at a huge list of scores of
the fonts actually installed -- just those that happen to be "active"
under ATM at the time.  And ATM makes these very easy by allowing you to
create "sets" of fonts of your choosing.  Then with a simple mouse click
inside ATM you can deactivate or activate all the fonts in a given set.
  For example, I can that way deactivate the whole big set of cm fonts
while I'm doing web-authoring.

The one catch of which I'm aware so far is that font names that are too
long give ATM trouble.  I've encountered this in only two cases so far:

(1) One of the Y&Y fonts -- sorry don't recall which one, but I think it
belonged either to the Times/Math Times set or the Lucida Bright set.
The solution for that involved modifying the internal name of the font
inside the file (Berthold Horn did that).

(2) A couple of the "new" Mathematica TrueType fonts (the ones named
"Mathematica..." rather than the old ones named "Math...".  The solution
here was simply to leave these fonts in the Windows\Fonts directory
rather than using ATM to move them to the ATM subdirectory of that
directory.  (So if I want to deactiveate these temporarily, I have to
select the list of individually-listed Mathematica TrueType fonts rather
than do the mouse click of a set.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305