Producing PDFs to non-standard page sizes

Ganz, Frank, SV USA fganz at SPRINGER-NY.COM
Thu Jun 10 13:17:08 CEST 2004

Hi John,

The easiest fix would be this one:

(1) Produce a PostScript file without page size specification!

Make sure that DVIPSONE is used when you produce the PostScript. (DVIWINDO allows you to create a PostScript without using DVIPSONE. When you do that, you would need to edit the PostScript to erase the default page size feature stored inside the PS. This would just be a few lines to remove. Again, the objective is to create a PostScript without default page size.)

-l=letter mustn't be used with DVIPSONE. Check dviwindo.ini, dvipsone.cmd or any other command prompt entries.

(2) Determine the best position for the text on the page.

If you know the left and buttom margins you can measure by how much they are off vertically and horizontally. (Note, PostScript's coordinate system starts at the buttom left corner. Distiller will crop the page from top and right to fit custom page size.)

You can move the page around with

\hoffset=
\voffset=

they can take negative values and any unit of measure TeX understands.

Once you've determined the best margins, go to step

(3) Enter custom page size in Distiller job options under "Default Page Size" (Acrobat 5.0).

(4) Distill your PostScript for the whole book

This should give you a PDF file with the correct trim.

Thanks,
Frank