Too many TT fonts installed

Mike Prager Mike.Prager at NOAA.GOV
Sat Jul 3 15:18:24 CEST 2004

It looks like I'm a bit late with this answer, but perhaps it still has
something of value.

At 10:18 AM 06/29/2004, you wrote:

>I think that the problem is that this computer has an excessive number of
>fonts (1300+) which are needed for various graphics applications that are
>run in the Center.  Deleting fonts is not an option.  Has anyone had
>experience with this problem?  Is the solution to move Y&Y TeX to another
>computer without all these extra fonts and dedicate it solely to TeX and
>maybe some standard office software?

Don,

I have not had this problem, but there are several font managers that work
with Windows XP.  Such products allow making some fonts (usually grouped
into user-devised sets) inactive without un-installing them.  It is a
simple matter to deactivate or re-activate groups of fonts when needed.
Therefore, the total number of active fonts can be reduced, and since those
are what Windows (and other applications) are aware of, that should help.

I use Adobe ATM Deluxe 4.1, which works fine with Windows XP.  (Despite
what some Y&Y list users [but not ATM Deluxe users that I've seen] say, it
also works fine for installing and removing both True Type and Type 1 fonts
under XP. At least, I have experienced no problems on the five such
machines I'm familiar with.) The drawbacks of ATM Deluxe 4.1 are (1) it is
somewhat old, and the interface is a bit clunky, and (2) it won't handle
font names > 31 characters.  This last affects only 1 of the 500+ fonts I
own.  If you decide to give ATM Deluxe 4.1 a try, be sure to download and
install the latest ATMFIX.EXE for it from the Adobe Web site.

DO NOT USE _ANY_ OTHER VERSION OF ATM.

A more recent font manager is Bitstream Font Reserve:

http://www.bitstream.com/categories/products/fontmanagers/fontres/win_index.html

This sounds great from its Web page information, and if I didn't own ATM
Deluxe already, I'd probably pick up a copy of Font Reserve.

If your problem really stems from some limitation in dealing with number of
fonts, either of these should help you.

Good luck.

...Mike

--
Michael Prager, Ph.D.                <Mike.Prager at noaa.gov>
NOAA Center for Coastal Fisheries and Habitat Research

NOTE: Opinions expressed are personal, not official.  No government
endorsement of
any product is expressed or implied.