Installation of Mathtime 1.1 fonts on MiKTeX

Jamie Snape j.r.snape at durham.ac.uk
Mon Jan 26 12:01:22 CET 2004

> > I'm trying to install the Mathtime 1.1 fonts.
> >
> > I've installed the mathtime package from CTAN,
>
> do you mean the miktex package for mathtime (which is on ctan
> under miktex/tm/packages), or the stuff from
> macros/latex/contrib/psnfssx/mathtime?

The MiKTeX one.

> > but I'm not sure where to put
> > the files (eg. RMTMI.prm, MTSY.prm, MTEX.prm, *.prb ...) that were
> > supplied by Y&Y so that LaTeX, Yap and dvips will work. Do
> I need to
> > edit any configuration files, and if so which?
>
> i don't believe you need to install the *.pfm (nb, _not_ *.prm) files.

Ok.

> you need to install the *.pfb files in
> ...\localtexmf\fonts\type1\mathtime
> (a directory you'll need to make for yourself).

I've created the directories and copied the files MTSY.PFB, RMTMI.PFB,
MTEX.PFB.  I refreshed, but none of the fonts showed up when I created a DVI
file and viewed it in Yap, so I renamed the files mtsy.pfb, rmtmi.pfb,
mtex.pfb (ie. in lowercase).  After refreshing again, rmtmi and mtex worked,
but Yap complained that it couldn't find mtsyn.pfb.  I have mtsy.pfb as I
bought Mathtime, and not Mathtime Plus.  I tried renaming mtsy.pfb to
mtsyn.pfb, and this appears to have worked in Yap.  However when I create a
Postscript file (using dvips with parameters -P pdf -G0 or -P pdf -G1), the
symbols do not appear properly.

> > I'm using MiKTex 2.4.1461 on Windows XP Pro.
>
> i'm afraid i've not used miktex 2.4; if the worst comes to
> the worst i'll install it on one of my xp machines and give
> mathtime a whirl.

Thanks!

> i would expect that a "refresh maps" operation after you've

Seems to work.

> > I'm quite new to this, so if anyone can give me a
> step-by-step guide
> > it would be much appreciated. The instructions supplied
> with the fonts
> > don't make much sense to me!
>
> they're mostly targeted at y&y tex users, i'm afraid.  i had
> a faq answer (to go in http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq) but it got
> overtaken by the appearance of miktex 2.4, and i've not had
> time to work on it since -- miktex changes its installation
> instructions (slightly) at every release.  perhaps following
> your problems i'll get the faq answer finished...

:+)

> > Many apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere,
> or if I've
> > sent this to the wrong place.
>
> it got to someone who could answer, so it's not a bad place
> (and an obvious one given where you bought the fonts).  a
> possible alternative would have been texhax at tug.org

Thanks for help so far, it's very, very much appreciated!

Jamie