Installation of Mathtime 1.1 fonts on MiKTeX

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 26 10:24:07 CET 2004

> I'm trying to install the Mathtime 1.1 fonts.
>
> I've installed the mathtime package from CTAN,

do you mean the miktex package for mathtime (which is on ctan under
miktex/tm/packages), or the stuff from macros/latex/contrib/psnfssx/mathtime?

> but I'm not sure where to put
> the files (eg. RMTMI.prm, MTSY.prm, MTEX.prm, *.prb ...) that were supplied
> by Y&Y so that LaTeX, Yap and dvips will work. Do I need to edit any
> configuration files, and if so which?

i don't believe you need to install the *.pfm (nb, _not_ *.prm) files.

you need to install the *.pfb files in ...\localtexmf\fonts\type1\mathtime
(a directory you'll need to make for yourself).

> I'm using MiKTex 2.4.1461 on Windows XP Pro.

i'm afraid i've not used miktex 2.4; if the worst comes to the worst
i'll install it on one of my xp machines and give mathtime a whirl.

i would expect that a "refresh maps" operation after you've

> I'm quite new to this, so if anyone can give me a step-by-step guide it
> would be much appreciated. The instructions supplied with the fonts don't
> make much sense to me!

they're mostly targeted at y&y tex users, i'm afraid.  i had a faq
answer (to go in http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq) but it got overtaken by the
appearance of miktex 2.4, and i've not had time to work on it since --
miktex changes its installation instructions (slightly) at every
release.  perhaps following your problems i'll get the faq answer
finished...

> Many apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere, or if I've sent
> this to the wrong place.

it got to someone who could answer, so it's not a bad place (and an
obvious one given where you bought the fonts).  a possible alternative
would have been texhax at tug.org

robin