supplement to makeindex query (27 NOV 03)

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Wed Jan 14 12:31:23 CET 2004

I realise this is a tangent to the usual Y&Y-specific nature of
techsupport but it's an add-on to something I'd posted previously.

If anyone is using those makeindex instructions I'd posted last
November, in answer to a query from David Ireland, I've just run into
another `point', which goes under item `a.':

%%      iv. make sure there are NO %% commented lines in the middle of
%%          an \index entry -- they appear in the .ind file and of
%%          course mess things up there

I had to make some small corrections throughout the text and, as is my
habit now, I insert a comment on what the correction's been. Well, if
that %% commented line appears in the midst of an \index entry which
spans two lines (I use emacs, with hard returns at the end of each
screen line, which is roughly 80 chars long), then the %% commented
line also turns up in the .ind file, and of course screws up index
entry and any processing of the index material.

Just another caution ... which may well be fully documented in the
various manuals and references ;-)