Problem with Laptop and installation

Peter Scott pscott at umich.edu
Thu Jan 8 11:10:27 CET 2004

  I used ATM de luxe (version 4.1) to install fonts under Windows XP
before installing Y&Y, and everything works fine.
 Peter Scott

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Christina Thiele wrote:

> John, I'd like to really thank you for having posted these two
> messages with the results of your investigations to find a solution to
> the problem -- system issues, in a nutshell. If someone else posts
> about a similar problem -- now we have a fabulous answer to send them!
> Thanks again.
>

> As for your suggestion to make the instructions more explicit -- well,
> I guess one could always add a big sticker that `shouts':
>
>       XP users -- do not use ATM to INSTALL fonts!!!!
>
>       If ATM is on your machine, DEACTIVATE it now!
>       If ATM is not on your machine, you can safely install it
>          AFTER a. installing the FONTS via the Control Panel
>                b. installing Y&YTeX
>          and then use ATM to MANAGE your fonts.
>
> ;-))))
>
> But that's soooo aggressive in tone, with those all-caps bits ... I
> guess it's a case of just how much do you want to `threaten' a new
> Y&YTeX customer with dire consequences ;-))
>
> And you know ... that above `blamming' is really only the result of XP
> now becoming wide-spread (is it too soon to say it's now `prevalent'?)
> and our having seen a lot of messages about XP +/- ATM on this
> techsupport list (which, by the way, is approaching its first
> birthday! -- some time next month, I believe). The documentation is
> indeed from a few years ago, when such was not the case.
>
> So, how do you guys feel about the idea of having such a BIG NOTICE
> ;-) turn up when you open your Y&YTeX box?
>
> Re-wordings and re-emphasising welcome ;-))
>
> Ch.
>
> =====================================
>
> John.De-Bruyn at ujf-grenoble.fr writes:
> >
> > .. and I had to reinstall the fonts properly, but I think it's ok now.
> >
> > In the stuff that came with my software there is a card of installation
> > instructions. It has a sticker on it that says
> > "For installation: Windows 2000 Pro or Windows XP"
> >
> > It then lists three possible actions, then says "Do not install ATM for
> > windows 2000 Pro or Windows XP"
> >
> > I think I misinterpreted this sticker to mean that any of the three possible
> > actions listed were acceptable for windows XP, when I now understand that
> > this is not the case, it is only the first option, and the last "do not"
> > warning, that are relevant to XP, despite the title on the sticker. May I
> > suggest that you change this sticker to be more clear? There may be others
> > out there as dumb as me.
> >
> > Thanks again
> >
> > --
> > John

> > John R. de Bruyn          :  jdebruyn at ujf-grenoble.fr
> > Laboratoire de Rheologie  :  phone: +33 (0)4 76 82 51 77
> > 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9    :  fax: +33 (0)4 76 82 51 64
> > France

Peter Scott                                        Office: East Hall 3842
Mathematics Department, East Hall              Office Phone: 734-764-0377
University of Michigan                       Department Fax: 734-763-0937
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1109             Department Phone: 734-764-0335