Problem with Laptop and installation

Herbert Gintis hgintis at comcast.net
Wed Jan 7 08:52:17 CET 2004

I have experienced problems like this after installing a program (e.g.,
Intuit's Quicken) that periodically checks the Internet for information. It
keeps ports open that must shut down when your computer goes to sleep. I
had to call Quicken for a fix, which involved unchecking something  many
menus deep in the options for the program.

Herb

At 08:49 AM 1/7/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>Mimi,
>
>thanks for the suggestions. I uninstalled the keyboard driver and let
>windows reinstall it, but the problem persists. This was the only (maybe)
>useful action that the windows troubleshooting program suggested.
>
>I guess I will have to try uninstalling YandY, which I'll do in a couple of
>days.
>
>I agree the problem is weird. Normally I'd be inclined to blame microsoft
>but up to now my experience with windows xp suggests that it is way more
>stable than previous windows operating systems.
>
>for the record, it's a sony viao laptop, the keyboard is integrated into the
>machine, and it's whatever driver came with XP - I didn't (knowingly) change
>anything. I bought the computer in France, so it's a french keyboard, and
>the french version of windows xp.
>
>anyhow thanks aagain and I'll let you know if anything changes when I
>uninstall TeX.
>
>John
>

> > > I recently purchased YandY TeX from you. I have installed it and it
>seems to
> > > work fine, but there is a strange problem which I think must somehow be
> > > related to your software.
> > >
> > > I installed it on my laptop which runs windows XP. Normally, the laptop
> > > should "go to sleep" after being inactive for a certain time. However,
>ever
> > > since I installed your software it cannot go to sleep - instead an error
> > > message pops up saying that the keyboard driver is preventing it from
>going
> > > to sleep.
> > >
> > > I am 99% sure this is a result of something to do with the YandY TeX
> > > installation, since I haven't added or changed anything else and the
>problem
> > > started immediately after it was installed. Have you ever seen this, and
>do
> > > you have any suggestions?
> > >

> > this is most weird  ;-)   I can't think of any "drivers" installed
> > with Y&Y ....   and the only suggestion I would have is to go
> > to your control panel and go thru the add hardward/software
> >
> > and "troubleshoot" your keyboard driver  ;-)
> >
> > settings  -> control panel  -> Add Hardward -> HID keyboard device
> >
> > keep clicking next and  say "hardware has been installed"  and it
> > should go into troubleshooting mode  ;-)
> >

> > I'e had trouble with my modem and I've gone thru this process
> > so many times I can do it in the dark with my eyes closed  ;-(
> >
> > if it *is* anything to do with Y&Y, it must be something extremely
> > obscure   ;-)    I've never heard of anything like this before.
> > I'd be tempted to ask
> >
> > what brand computer
> > what braod keyboard
> > what keyboard driver  (was it installed when you bought the computer?)
> >
> > and then you could always uninstall Y&Y completely and see if it
> > fixes the problem....   It won't delete any folders you created
> [...]

Herbert Gintis
External Faculty, Santa Fe Institute
Visiting Professor, Columbia
University
Emeritus Professor, University of Massachusetts
15 Forbes Avenue, Northampton, MA 01060
413-586-7756  (Home Office) 206-984-9873 (Fax)
Recent papers are posted on my <http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~gintis>web site.
Get Game Theory Evolving (Princeton, 2000) at
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0691009430/qid=1057311870/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-8882889-4632849?v=glance&s=books>Amazon.com
Look for Moral Sentiments and Material Interests,
    forthcoming from MIT Press (2004)
        There is no sorrow so great that does not find
       its background in joy.
                                                             Niels Bohr (1938)