LaTeX Help

Mimi Burbank mimi at csit.fsu.edu
Tue Jan 6 12:58:47 CET 2004

On Jan06 10:04AM, Frank Ganz wrote:
> Dear Saravanan,
>
> This works but is not necessary. When you run your book from your
> working directory c:\mydir\book, LaTeX will use the .cls file stored
> in that directory even when you just type \documentclass{book}. In
> other words, book.cls that you have stored in any other path, such as
> c:\yandy\... won't be used but the one in c:\mydir\book. Check your
> .log file to confirm my statement.

there is also one other thing you can do - which is what is done
on large mainframe systems.    in the   yandy\tex\latex  folder
you can always put a folder called  "MyStuff"  or something similar ;-)
and put things that you develop yourself in there...

If you create a path elsewhere on your system, you'd need to add
that folder to the path that   Winedt or DVIWINDO searches...
by actually editing the .ini files ....

one thing you should remember though is the first instance of
a file called xyz.tex (or .sty or .cls)  is what will be loaded,
so if you have two files of the same name, with different contents,
then the first file found is the one that will be used.   I've
had this happen a couple of times - some obsolete files were used
instead of the most recent ones   ;-)

hope this helps...

mimi