Lucida Fonts: purchase and installation for YandY

Jochen Autschbach jautschbach at YAHOO.COM
Sun Aug 29 18:51:28 CEST 2004

Dear Walter

Thanks for the reply.

I finally got things to work properly with YandY tex. All I had to do
was to download the lucida-bright support files from CTAN but instead
of running latex with "lucidabr.ins" as input I had to use
"lucidabr.yy". This is actually mentioned somewhere in a documentation
file but not in the documentation that came with the fonts.
My YandY system had all the (old style name) TMFs already installed (I
bought it recently with the MathTime fonts); the problem was with the
font definition files.

Using "lucidabr.yy" (i.e. running "latex lucidabr.yy" to install the
package) has the desired effect that the original font names are used
and that DVIWindo is able to find the respective Type1 fonts installed
in the Windows font directory (/windows/fonts/ on my XP system).

Originally, I added the font directories of a MiKTeX system which is
also installed on my computer to the YandY search directories (in
dviwindo.ini). This way, the TFMs according to the new naming scheme
were found, but DVIWindo wasn't able to find the Type1 fonts because of
naming conflicts. Before I added the MiKTeX font directories to the
search path, YandY latex didn't find the TFMs for "hlcrima" and other
fonts. These errors were caused because the lucidabr package as
installed on my system used the new naming scheme for the fonts. I
think the documentation is somewhat confusing in this respect. I had
the impression that if I use \usepackage{lucidabry} the old naming
scheme will be invoked, but that doesn't work.

Jochen