DVIPSONE on the fritz

Mike Prager Mike.Prager at NOAA.GOV
Thu Aug 12 17:28:56 CEST 2004

At 8/11/2004 08:31 PM Wednesday, Michael Cross wrote:
>I think dvipsone gets the location of the fonts from the PSFONTS= line in
>dviwindo.ini in the Windows directory, e.g. I have
>              PSFONTS=E:\YANDY22\PSFONTS
>where this is the directory where I put the .pfb files. [...]

Yes, that would seem to be the case.  Unfortunately, I have that line in
dviwindo.ini, it is correct, yet in the absence of ATM, DVIPSONE produces
zero-byte output.

It is unclear to me why DVIPSONE depends on ATM, except that it was written
at a time when the presence of ATM was assured if Type 1 fonts were in
use.  More to the point, I would like to find what *part* of ATM it is
looking for.

I have tried using the "-f" flag (to specify font locations) and even wrote
a Python program to generate the ATMFONTS.MAP mentioned in
\yandy\doc-misc\atmfonts.txt.  None of that helps.

Perhaps DVIPSONE needs the ATMREG.ATM file, but that is a binary file & I
have no idea how one could generate an equivalent (without ATM).

Unless I have overlooked something, none of the documentation on DVIPSONE
or Y&Y TeX in general provides any insight into why ATM is needed nor how
that dependency might be overcome.  If anyone has had any success in this,
please advise, or I will spend an evening un-installing Font Navigator
(which to me, seems a better font manager) and re-installing ATM Deluxe.

Thanks...

--
Michael Prager
NOAA Center for Coastal Fisheries and Habitat Research

NOTE: Opinions expressed are personal, not official. No government
endorsement of any product is made or implied.