Lucida Fonts: purchase and installation for YandY

Walter Schmidt w.a.schmidt at GMX.NET
Mon Aug 9 14:54:08 CEST 2004

Hi,

being the maintainer of the Lucida Bright support files
provided on CTAN, I somehow feel responsible to reply
(or, at least, to _try_ to provide a helpful reply).
(NB: Feel free to forward my mail to the list.)

You wrote:

> I downloaded LaTeX 2e lucida bright support from ctan.org and
> installed it in a place where YandY latex can find it.

I assume you refer the stuff from the CTAN directory

  fonts/metrics/bh/lucida

is this correct?

This directory contains TFMs for all fonts (text+math) plus
the FD files for the text fonts only.  At LaTeX level, it
uses standard ("Karl-Berry-style") names throughout (because
that's the only reasonable way to support T1/TS1 encoding
beside LY1).  It includes also different sets of map files,
so that you may or may not rename the actual Type1 font files
to standard names.

>Now, when I try to latex the example hello_LB.tex in
> /c/yandy/texinputs, I get the following error when I
>try to display the file with dviwindo:
>
> Can't find font: hlcrima (1)
>
> etc. for a number of other fonts

hlcrima is a "standard" name, and you did apparently not get
any TeX errors.  This means that LaTeX was using standard
names for the TFMs, and that LaTeX did actually find these
TFMs.  Ok.  Only dviwindo seems not to be able to assign the
matching Type1 font file to that TFM name.

> The latex file loads the package lucidbry which should use the
> original YandY names for the fonts, not the renaming scheme of
> other latex packages. But that doesn't seem to happen with the
> Math fonts.

No.  lucidbry.sty just changes to LY1 encoding and then loads
lucidabr.sty.  Whether LaTeX seeks TFMs with standard or Y&Y
names depends only on the contents of the FD files used.

> Some help would be greatly appreciated!

First, make sure that your FD files use either standard or
Y&Y names throughout, i.e., for both the text and the math
fonts.  Check the .fd files that are actually used; they
should be listed in the log file.

If you need to create a consistent set of FDs, proceed
as follows:   Somewhere in your TeX system there should be
the files

  lucidabr.dtx
  lucidabr.fdd
  lucidabr.ins
  lucidabr.yy

(In a TDS compliant system they reside in the directory
texmf/source/latex/psnfssx.  You may also obtain them from
CTAN:macros/latex/psnfssx/lucidabr/ )

* Running the installation script lucidabr.ins through LaTeX
creates the macro packages and a set of FD files for the
_math_ fonts using standard TFM names.  The additional
FD files from the _text_ fonts are thise provided from the
CTAN directory fonts/metrics/bh/lucida.

* Running the installation script lucidabr.ins through LaTeX
would create FDs for both _text_ and _math: fonts, using
Y&Y-style names.  They are to be used with the TFMs you get
from Y&Y, and they support _only_ LY1 encoding for the text fonts.
The stuff from CTAN:fonts/metrics/bh/lucida is _not_ required
in this case.

Having decided for either option (standard or original names
for the TFMs), you need to configure dviwindo accordingly,
i.e., establish the relation between the TFM names and the
actual PFB fonts files.

Unfortunately, I am totally ignorant about dviwindo,
so I don't know how to configure it.  Does it use the same
map file as dvips?  If so, and if you decide to stay with
standard names for the TFMs you can use the map files from
CTAN:fonts/metrics/bh/lucida.

Again, there are two options.  While the TFMs would exhibit
standard names in both cases, you may or may not leave t
he actual PFB font files with their original (Y&Y) names:

* Use lucidabr.map (for the text fonts) and lumath.map
(for the math fonts), if the PFB font files are left
with their origunal Y&Y names.

* Use lucidabr-k.map (for text fonts) and lumath-k.map
(for the math fonts), if you have renamed the PFB fonts
files, too, to the Karl-Berry scheme.

HTH
Walter