font problems

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at CL.CAM.AC.UK
Mon Apr 12 23:00:42 CEST 2004

> My problem has gone from bad to worse!   I now realize that since I
> purchased the Y&Y Upgrade, I have been unable to typeset symbols that
> I was previously able to typeset.  They show up as blank spaces or
> Courier, so I have probably turned in several papers with incorrect
> symbols!  For example, I always type a \square after each Proof, and
> now it's leaving a blank there.

where's it leaving the blank?  dviwindo, dviwindo-printed output, or
dvipsone output?

> I purchased the MathTime version of Y&Y, not the CM version.  Does
> MathTime not include many of the symbols such as \square, \leqslant,
> (the list goes on and on of all the symbols I am unable to use)?  Or
> did I do something wrong in the installation?  Do I need to purchase
> additional fonts to be able to type calligraphic letters or the
> \mathbb (or \Bbb) fonts?   The most puzzling thing about this is that
> I was able to use most (or all) of the symbols before (not the
> calligraphic letters, however), but now I am not.

there's obviously something wrong with your configuration, but without
someone with the appropriate experience seeing the relevant .ini files,
it's hard to say what.  i presume the mathtime fonts do appear when you
look for installed fonts using the windows font browser?

i'm afraid i'm not the one even to say which ini files you should
forward, but someone will surely come along.

robin