dviwindo: preview from external TIFF file

Jochen Autschbach jautschbach at YAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 1 12:52:58 CEST 2004

Hi

I created a new LaTeX file with as little content as possible, took the
"tiger.eps" example from Ghostscript, converted to TIFF (file name:
tiger.tif not tiger.tiff, everything in the same directory) and tried
all the suggested options except for the EPSI preview (for some reason
Ghostscript's ps2epsi script crashes on my system). Here is my LaTeX
file:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{mathtimy}
\usepackage[dviwindo]{epsfig}
\begin{document}
\epsfig{width=0.5\textwidth,file=tiger}
\end{document}

"Show Previews" was checked all the time.

The only time I get to see the preview is when it is included in the
postscript file, NOT when it's just a TIFF file with the same file name
but extension "tif" instead of EPS (and no TIFF preview included in the
EPS file).

When I uncheck "Show Previews" the preview is not displayed.

What is also bugging me is that when there is no preview and I print
from DVIWindo to my postscript printer I just get an empty rectangle
with the filename, even when Preferences -> Pass Through EPS is
selected. In case there is a preview visible it always prints the (low
res) preview, never the EPS (again, no matter if Preferences -> Pass
Through EPS is selected or not). This doesn't seem to be the way these
options are supposed to work, right?
(In case I print to the "Adobe PDF" printer driver the EPS actually
gets used, no matter if the EPS file contains a TIFF preview or not.
Why does DVIWindo make a difference here?)

Regards,
Jochen

--- Blenda Horn <blendacarlisle at yandy.com> wrote:

---------------------------------
Hi Jochen,

I forwarded your question to  Berthold Horn, developer/author of Y&Y
TeX Systems.  Below is his answer.  Let us know if you succeed.

Regards,
Blenda.

(1) Make sure "Preferences > Show Previews" is checked.

(2) The ideal method is to have a proper EPSF file (Appendix H of the
PS reference manual) with preview included.  Proper graphics
applications do this for you.  They include a preview in one of the
supported formats right in the EPSF file.

(3) If you have a raw EPS file (say from Unix where the default
EPSF preview format is EPSI, but no application seems to support it)
then you can try and add a TIFF file with the preview and
the same name as the corresponding EPS file. Then in
on screen viewing it will try and use the TIFF file, while
in printing to PS device it will use the EPS file.

(3) One reason this may not work for you is that it is not
finding the TIFF file.  Another possibility is that the
scale in the TIFF file is bizarre and causes the image
to be way too small to be visible (use DefaultTIFFDPI
in the [Window] section of dviwindo.ini to work around this).

(4) Another option is to add a preview in EPSI format to
your EPS file. This has the advantage of leaving a
plain text (rather than binary) image file, and the disadvantage
of leading to a much larger file.  There are utilities lying
around that (somewhat painfully) using GhostScript or
something, render the PS part and add a preview in EPSI
format.  Do a search on the web...

You may have a tiff file with extension ".tiff". This won't work
since as far as I remember it looks for a file with extension
".tif".

Another thing to try is to add

        ForceTIFF=1

to the [Window] section of the dviwindo.ini file in your windows
directory.

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:09 , Jochen Autschbach <jautschbach at YAHOO.COM>
sent:

Maybe I should clarify: The problem is not to insert TIFF graphics but
to insert EPS graphics which do not have a tiff preview included, and
let DVIWindo use a TIFF file with the same name as the EPS file but
with the extension .tif instead to generate a preview. The manual
highlights this as a "Tip", however it doesn't seem to work.

I just used the \special command once to make sure that dviwindo
doesn't have any particular problems with the TIFF files that I have
generated.

Jochen

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html