font installation in Windows 2000

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Fri Sep 26 14:23:19 CEST 2003

LMS journals writes:

> Thanks, Christina -- good to hear from you! -- I'll go and tinker, and get
> back to you with anything constructive that I come up with.

You're still at work at 6:45? Go home!

> If you drag and drop the PFBs, the PFMs have to be sitting in the same
> directory, even tho they don't "appear" to be doing anything.  If they
> aren't, the drag and drop won't work (nor, if I remember right, does the
> control panel route).

Ah. Interesting. I think this is mostly hidden from us when we get
Y&YTeX, because we get custom-made CDs that have the fonts we've
purchased already included in some script that the installation menu
then follows ... it's when we add new stuff that we have to discover
just what the heck the script knew ;-)

> C:\winnt\fonts is where all my fonts live -- has always been that way on
> this machine.

Oh. OK. In any event, if that's the \fonts folder, then that's it. And
presumably your dviwindo.ini file knows this too ;-)

> Can you confirm that if I save my .ini file and reinstall (uninstall first??
> -- just at the control panel, or a full uninstall, if so???) I won't lose
> the new bibtex and hyperref etc. that we all went to so much trouble to get
> me...

Don't re-install just yet, ok? I'm trying to get a bit more info
together, which may solve the problem.

As for doing an uninstall and re-install ... I kept notes while I went
from 2.2.3 to 2.2.8 ... after using the uninstall utility, I found
that my yandy folder hadn't been deleted. I was curious ... so I
started looking ... great big chunks of it were gone but a few folders
still remained. And so, having a fabulous wealth of knowledge in
phonetics but pretty much zerio in PC software and OSs, I eventually
decided that the remaining folders were ones which I'd added stuff to
(and when I looked, yes, the only contents were the new things). I did
this before the great BibTeX fix but I'll bet that I'd have found the
entire \bibtex folder intact. So my surmise is that an uninstall ONLY
goes after those items that the machine knew it had installed
originally. And that any new bits are left alone.

But I wasn't terribly sure of all that, so I chickened out, copied all
the stuff that had been left behind to another folder, deleted the
yandy folder manually, and did a fresh install after, as Herb has
mentioned, renaming dviwindo.ini to dviwindo-2-2-3.ini (to keep track
of what version it was associated with). And then I did the bibtex
fix. I have a few small glitches to still sort out but I _think_
they're all fairly low-level and very specific to my working
environment, so I'm not too worried about 'em. Yet ;-))

Oh, and I did all of this while logged on as administrator.

> Have a good weekend

You too. I hope to have more news on Monday ...