Too many math alphabets used in version normal

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Mon Sep 22 09:51:34 CEST 2003

Masoud Salehi writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am writing a book and use a variety of fonts in it. When latexing I get
> the error message
>
> ! Latex Error: Too many math alphabets used in version normal.
>
> If I delete some fonts the document is compiled with no error. I was
> wondering if there is a way I can increase the font handling capacity of
> LateX. My version of Y&Y is 2.2.3
>
> Thanks

We encountered this with a client a couple of years ago. The solution
for them was as follows.

   \usepackage{amsmath}
   \usepackage{amssymb}
   \newcommand\hmmax{0} % default 3
   % \newcommand\bmmax{0} % default 4
   \usepackage{bm}

Notice use of \newcommand (not \renewcommand), and that this is
inserted BEFORE the bm package.

It's not actually the AMS packages that are involved in the solution
but they were part of the problem, as it were. The bm package is of
course the `Bold Math' package -- but because of its purpose, to
expand the number of fonts available, it also has the necessary
mechanism for coping with the message:

          Too many math alphabets used in version normal.

Print up the bm documentation and read up more, if you'd like -- this
particular info is in section 2, on p.2.  The above values were
particular to the client's needs -- you may need to adjust ... hence
the suggestion to print up the documentation and read a little more on
increasing font allocations.

Indeed, my advice is to always print up the documentation for any
package you're using -- you never know what little nuggets have been
included in it.