Too many math alphabets used in version normal

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 22 08:30:55 CEST 2003

Masoud Salehi writes:

> I am writing a book and use a variety of fonts in it. When latexing I get
> the error message
>
> ! Latex Error: Too many math alphabets used in version normal.
>
> If I delete some fonts the document is compiled with no error. I was
> wondering if there is a way I can increase the font handling capacity of
> LateX. My version of Y&Y is 2.2.3

there is no way of increasing the font handling capacity (it's a
built-in tex limit)

the limit is sixteen different fonts per maths version (normal, bold,
...).  this is an area i tend to be a bit shaky on, but i _think_
there are 10 used when you start up.

if i'm right, there's space to add another 6 maths fonts; so a wide
range of extra maths symbol fonts are going to give trouble.  does
this match your situation? -- if i'm right, the error would be coming
before \begin{document}

if not, i guess i need to look at the preamble of your book (up to
\begin{document}) to see if it can kick start what remains of my
memory...

Robin Fairbairns

Y&Y support team