eps files from Illustrator

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Sun Sep 21 20:51:13 CEST 2003

Robin Fairbairns writes:

> christina writes:
>
> > I finally found a reference that I wanted to add to Tom's explanation
> > below. It's a pretty good little document entitled `Graphics for
> > Inclusion in Electronic Documents', by Ian Hutchinson. It can be found
> > at:
> >
> >     http://silas.psfc.mit.edu/elec_fig/
> >
> > The author invites additions, emendations, and flat-out corrections
> > ;-) It's a handy doc. to have around. I'm sure we all have had our
> > `moments' with graphics files, esp. those which come from `elsewhere'
>
> it's a very good document (which is why there's reference from the
> faq).  however, like the faq, its relevance to y&y users is limited by
> its focus on the use of pdftex.

Really? I didn't notice that limitation ... But I'm known for not
always observing the more salient facts ;-))

The information I was focussing on and found most useful were the
descriptions of various formats, and their pitfalls -- I learned stuff
I didn't know ;-) And that made it easier to explain to clients what
would be more/less `helpful' in their efforts to ensure their graphics
could be included electronically in their articles, rather than done
via cut-and-paste.

Which leads to the second really handy thing about this doc.:

But more important, I think, are towards the end, regarding
instructions (ok ... `suggestions'!) to authors (potentially not TeX
users -- and quite possibly not all that software-savvy either) on
what to do in order to provide us, the TeX users, with graphics files
that are actually usable!

If I can get an author to provide .ps or .eps files, then I'm a heck
of a lot happier than if I have to do a lossy conversion at my end,
and then have to try and explain to them why it just doesn't look like
the version they printed up or previewed on-screen. I'd prefer they
see the .ps/.eps versions themselves ;-) The print quality required is
middle-level, I'd say, as it's almost always for journals, so I think
.ps and .eps are sufficient, given the tools I have -- and the paper
quality that the final produce gets printed on ;-)

So, educational value for us -- and information value for authors
submitting stuff to us.