Font problem

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 17 08:20:23 CEST 2003

> Yes.  (XP is later than 98!  95 -> 98 -> NT -> 2000 -> XP, with Me
> somewhere in that chain.)

actually, no.  the chain split somewhere in the 90s.  when win nt
didn't immediately deliver as a win3.1 replacement, win95 was born
using similar ideas, leaving the crocked 3.1 model behind.  so we had
win95, win98, win me, and then a full stop.

meanwhile win nt eventually mutated to win2k (nt 5.0), win xp (NT 5.1)
and now (finally) to win2003 (nt5.2, irrelevant to almost all users).
nt5.1 proved to be adequate to exist in a "there there, kiddies,
here's an easy version", which was what nt was supposed to give all
along.  hence the final demise of the 9x line.

here endeth the lesson.

robin

whose domain controller at work runs 2003.