mathtime in MikTeX

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Thu Sep 11 13:52:25 CEST 2003

Geoffrey Nunes writes:

> Ok, so this is probably a forbidden subject, but I've bought and paid for
> the Mathtime 1.1 fonts, and would like to be able to use them in my
> favorite TeX platform.  If anyone has gotten these to work properly under
> MikTeX (in either TeX or LaTeX or both) I would love to know how.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -Geoff Nunes

Does this mean you've tried and had problems -- or you just want to be
well-armed before you go into MT battle? ;-))

I find a miktexfn.txt file in the mathtime folder on the CD -- has
this proven less than useful? We know certain .txt files are out of
date, so it's a definite possibility. Indeed, if it is, we'd like to
know what the updates ought to be ;-))

There's also a changes.txt file in there, which explains the
diffs. between MT 1.0 and 1.1 -- but some of the points mentioned may
be of interest to you, so worth a quick scan. Indeed, any of the files
in the mathtime/txt folder are probably worth a look.

For MT itself, there's the mathtime.dtx file to process and get the
documentation. I did do a search in there for `miktex' but no results,
so nothing explicitly helpful there. But probably a handy doc. to
print up.

Does the MikTeX documentation not provide adequate information on
installing new fonts? Y&YTeX provides a utility for generating .tfm
files -- does MikTeX recommend any specific utility for this job? I
ask, because in cruising through some .txt files, I found reference to
this business of generating tfms that can be iffy if one doesn't
specify the correct encoding ?vector?

Ah. Now there's something. The UK FAQ is developing sections on
installing fonts. Why don't you look at the latest version (go to
www.tug.org and follow the links) and see what's mentioned there.

Back to MikTeX and MT. I believe this query has come up before on this
forum. I'll see if I can dig something up for you. Which means that
there probably _are_ people on this list who have done the
installation.

I'll poke around and see what I can find.