eps files from Illustrator

Mimi Burbank mimi at csit.fsu.edu
Tue Sep 9 17:25:22 CEST 2003

On Sep09 02:42PM, Penny wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem:
>
> We (Bookcomp, Inc.) cannot print from DVI window if  a page contains an
> eps file that was created in Illustrator. If I open this eps file in
> Corel and resave it, it will print out just fine.
>
> Also if I create a postscript file and then a PDF file, the PDF file
> prints fine too.
>
> Anyone have a quick fix for this, before I have to open over 300 pieces
> of artwork and resave them.
>
> Thanks
> Penny

Hi Penny -

I've found in the past that Illustrator EPS files have all of
this  binary "windozy printer instruction junk" at the top, and the
bottom of the file...  If you can find a way to stop your
windows machine from putting that in - the only other thing
I can suggest is manually editing each eps file with a "unix-like"
editor and removing the binary code at the top of the file.
All "postscript" files FIRST LINE should contain  %!PS  or

your dvi interpreter cannot tell it is PostScript because of
the missing %!PS...  ;-)

mimi