Problem with dviwindo. PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME SEND THIS AGAIN

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Sat Sep 6 22:14:52 CEST 2003

We've received your query -- as well as the first one, from 31 AUG
03. So, no, we won't make you send it again ;-))

The techsupport mailing list is a group of core volunteers (I'm one)
and many long-time Y&YTeX users. Apologies for not having replied
sooner ... but some of us are coming off holidays or illness or
whatever. And apparently no-one's familiar with this problem or they'd
have already posted a reply ...

Now let's see what we can do for you.

Ch.

========

Herbert Gintis writes:

> --=====================_955575312==_.ALT
>
> I have been using Y&Y 2.2 for some time. I have started getting the
> following error message, followed by tons of other messages:

`Started getting' kind of implies to me that either you've begun using
something new in your files and it's finally found a problem -- or
something else has changed on your machine.

>          GetTeXMetrics Failed at byte 148. Can't find font lcircle10 (0).
> Font Name: lcircle10 REGULAR (Windows offers 'lcircle10'). Can't get
> TexMetrics at byte 148.
>          This appears to be in response to the following TeX code:
>                  \begin{picture}(83.00,70.00)
>                  \put(20.18,38.35){\circle*{1.20}}

In c:\yandy\dviwindo\doc there's a file called readme.txt. Item 5 is
entitled ``Can't Find Font?'' and I think it has the necessary details
for you to identify the problem. It would seem that such error
messages as you describe are related to uninstalled fonts. While this
text focuses on ATM as the mechanism for installing fonts -- a program
which Win2000 does not need -- the essential truth is still there:
Windows can't find the font because it's not been `informed' about it.

Now don't jump up so fast! ;-) The fact that one can _see_ a font file
does not at all mean that it has been installed -- at least, in a way
so that Windows knows about it.

So consider the possibility that the lcircle font has not been
installed -- or installed properly, as described in the smaller
manual, p.5. Review the instructions on p.5 and if necessary, repeat
the installation steps for the lcircle font(s).

> PLEASE inform me as to what is going on. I checked an appear to have the
> appropriate *circle*.* files.
> The printed version looks fine.
>
> Best,
>

> Herbert Gintis

Now, I have to admit I'm making a big stab in the dark here on this
one. But if this _does_ get you unwedged, please send us details on
what exactly worked, so that other users will have that information
immediately to hand should it happen to them.

Best regards,