FWD: Copy/Paste into Corel

Michael Zedler zedler at ei.tum.de
Thu Oct 30 09:55:35 CET 2003

admin   wrote:

>Hi Michael,
>
>I decided to forward your email of question and problems so that we could have a lot of input to help resolve your problem.  I have not looked at todays mail in techsupport so I have no idea if your problem has been solved.
>
>So here is the input from the author of Y&Y TeX Systems.
>
>Regards,
>Blenda Horn.
>

>At 2003-10-29  11:55, you wrote:

yep. see editability.

>>2) The Slides need to remain editable -> no conversion to pdf possible, either
>>

>(1) you can't edit the typeset math in PowerPoint since only TeX knows how
>to properly typeset math.
>2) You *can* edit material in Acrobat (the full product rather than the
>free Reader).
>(3) If you have to go back to TeX source at any point, no editing of any
>final product will
>do  any good since it can't be "decompiled" to produce modified TeX code.

One formula takes up little space, lets say 5% of a slide. But there are
several formulae and text/arrows need to be added to the slides. The
formulas don't need to be editet, just moved around.

>>I thought of two solutions:
>>1) Use the pack&go feature or Powerpoint -> not possible, because only
>>ttf can be packed
>>

>Maybe MS should change that...

:-)

>>2) a) Paste the formulae into CorelDraw/Illustrator/Freehand, let them
>>be converted to outlines/paths (making them basically line art;
>>eliminating references to fonts) and then, b) copy the converted formula
>>into Powerpoint -> pasting into the graphics program doesn't work; the
>>characters are scattered around -> useless
>>

>This is a function of the importing application.
>e material on the clipboard is flawless, as you can see in the "clipboard
>viewer"
>application (e.g. run c:\windows\system32\clipbrd.exe )
>or by pasting the material e.g. into MS Word.
>Unfortunately, because of faulty conversion to internal representation
>in some graphics applications, such as Adobe Illustrator, material from the
>clipboard gets rescaled and becomes unreadable. However, in the past
>Corel Draw did this correctly, only Illustrator messed it up.  Did you try it?

I tried CorelDraw, Illustrator, Freehand. No success. In addition, if I
paste directly into PP and double-click to make it editable, things get
messed up, too.

>>3) Make screenshots from the pdf that contains the formulae -> my boss
>>can move them around and add text -> works, but quite clumsy, in
>>particular if he decides to magnify a formula. (And I don't need Y&Y then)
>>

>What application does your boss intend to use to edit?
>Presumably if the whole job is done in TeX you can't do anything
>with editing in any other application in any case.  Whatever
>editing happens will have to be repeated by hand in the original
>TeX code. Seems that that is the *real* problem.

See above: editing=adding text/arrows+moving formulas around. No editing
of formulas. All to be done in PP. Acrobat (we have the full product) is
definitely a no-go.

>It seems infinitely easier to install fonts on your boss's computer so
>he/she can edit directly.  For disgtribution, you can then package up
>the whole thing in a portable way when editing has finished by turning
>it into Acrobat PDF.

Nonononono :-) Boss=Mac. If fonts would have to be installed we'd rather
use screenshots.

>Note that there is *NO* way of displaying hairy math in PowerPoint
>without installing fonts, or patching in little images.  None of the
>fonts commonly available in windows are sufficient for handling math.
>This is, of course, not a problem that has anything to do with the TeX system.

Well, doing so by screenshots actually works without a problem. The only
problem is magnifyability. And perhaps having a transparent (non-white)
background colour. That's why we bought Y&Y-TeX ;-)

>Hope this helps.

Not yet, really.
Kind regards,
Michael Zedler

--
Dipl. Ing. Michael Zedler
Lehrstuhl für Hochfrequenztechnik, TU München
Mail: zedler at ei.tum.de