CTAN install: yes or no? [was Re: Installing Latex in XP]

Don R. Robinson drrobin at ilstu.edu
Sun Oct 26 09:16:54 CET 2003

My preference is to make it easier to install the additional stuff from CTAN.

Personally, I have bee using metapost for a couple of years to produce
encapsulated postscript files of graphs (normal distributions,
t-distributions, and the like).  While they do not show up in dviwindo
previewer, I print using distiller (I actually purchased Adobe Acrobat 5.0)
and create pdf files with minimal trouble.  I have seen the metapost
package in YandY's installation but until recently found that I needed
several *.mp files to get metapost to work properly.  I had to create the
eps files from the version distributed with TeXLive# and then copy them
over to c:\yandy\texinputs.

Within the past two weeks I have had to rebuild my computer's operating
system (Windows XP professional became corrupted) because Windows would not
even load in safe mode allowing me to copy data files created since about a
year ago.  I have been keeping track of the current dialogue on installing
LaTeX on Windows XP and will find it useful when I get a break and
re-install fonts and YandY stuff.

Don