graphics problem: a refinement

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Fri Oct 17 10:01:48 CEST 2003

Robert Ryan writes:

> This is addressed to those generous Y&Yers who have been contributing to
> (the solution of ) Robert's Graphics Problem.

Should we use this as a new `Subject' line? ;-))

> In spite of incipient senility, I finally remembered the details of the
> original problem, which was cured with the famous LOUIS PATCH.
>
> This is the deal: My version (or my copy) of Y&YTeX cannot deal with more
> than one figure. The following file illustrates the problem:
>
> %GraphicsTest.tex
>
> \documentclass[a4paper]{book}
>
> \usepackage[dvipsone]{graphicx}
>
> \graphicspath{{c:/graphicstest/}}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \begin{figure}
> \setkeys{Gin}{width=5cm}
> \centerline{
> \includegraphics{circle.eps}
> }
> \end{figure}
>
> \begin{figure}
> \setkeys{Gin}{width=5cm}
> \centerline{
> \includegraphics{box.eps}
> }
> \end{figure}
>
> \end{document}
>
> When I run this, I receive the message "!Latex Error: File 'circle.eps' not
> found." If I eliminate either of the figures, the file runs perfectly.
>
> Presented with this problem, Louis knew exactly what to do to fix it. I
> don't. Well, I do know one solution, which is to place the figures in the
> folder 'graphicstest' rather than in the subfolder 'figures,' but this is a
> poor solution for dealing with many chapters and many figures.

Hmmm ... I'm wondering now if this isn't simply a question of setting
-- or resetting -- the paths in your dviwindo.ini file, so that they
know where graphics files are to be found. By any chance do you have
them all in one folder?

During the _custom_ installation (you know, that process that happened
so long ago?  ;-) ), there is a step which asks if you want to specify
where additional graphics files will be found. Lemme get my
documentation ...

Yes, here is it. The dialog box is called `Image Folders' and is for
paths to follow to locate graphics files. In the .ini file, this is
set with the line about PSPATH.

Can you take a look at your .ini file, locate PSPATH and see if it
needs adjusting? If it's not clear then post just that part of your
.ini file here -- not the whole file. Uh, if you don't have a PSPATH
entry at all, the smaller manual talks about it on p.15, just below
mid-page; also read the `Note' after the little description.

Now, your file above shows the line:

   > \graphicspath{{c:/graphicstest/}}

but perhaps you could try setting the path via PSPATH, comment the
above out, and see if anything changes.

Then, section 3.6 is all about graphics: `Graphics, EPS, TIFF, BMP,
WMF, Color, and Hypertext. Check through to see if there are any
additional nuggets that sound pertinent to your situation.

In the larger Technical Addendum, there's not a lot on graphics per
se, but near the back in section 6.5, `Maintaining DVIWindo's
Preferences', there's a massive list of parameters that can be set
manually in the [Windows] section of the .ini file ... maybe there's
something that seems likely for you.

> It's a beautiful sunny day in Paris, so I am going to go to lunch and forget
> about all of this with the confidence that, since the problem has been
> localized, one of you will solve it.

And it's a chilly damp cloudy morning in Ottawa. We call it `the end
of fall' ;-)) After this, it's just sit and wait for the snow ;-(

> All the best,

And to you!