Do we need ATM Deluxe under WinXP?

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Thu Oct 16 14:49:52 CEST 2003

Dr. Dietrich Grau writes:

> ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C39420.932EFBA0
>
> Dear Y&Y Family!
>
> It was now recommended several times on this list to use Adobe Type =
> Manager Deluxe under Windows XP to install, activate and use the fonts =
> of the Y&Y TeX System.
>
> 1) Mike Prager wrote "... it seems that Y&Y (especially DVIPSONE) does =
> not work well in finding fonts under Windows XP unless ATM Deluxe is =
> used". Could the "List Gurus" comment on this? How are the experiences =
> of other users?
>
> 2) Mimi Burbank wrote "...the number of fonts you add to this folder =
> increases the amount of memory used to operate your computer...you=B4ll =
> *never* get any memory on your machine...". How much memory is consumed =
> if one has the CM- plus EM- plus LaTeX- plus TeXPi-Fonts? Could someone =
> quantify this? My psfonts-folder on the Y&Y CD shows 7.41 MB... How =
> could this affect the operation of a PC with 256 MB memory? Could the =
> "List Gurus" comment on this?=20
>
> Kind regards and many thanks to the volunteer group,
> Dietrich Grau

I know what you mean about the confusion! But it _seems_ to me that
the comments have settled down to separating out the two activities of
installation and usage.

  a. NO ATM for installation -- or rather, make sure that ATM has been
     turned off. The XP installation instructions for fonts are what
     you use -- Win2000 and XP have a built-in rasteriser (I just
     repeat the stuff I read! I don't actually know/understand that
     the heck this `rasteriser' is doing ;-)). But it's involved in
     sending the font files to the right places, and making sure that
     everything is properly `registered'.

  b. ATM Deluxe allows you to active/deactivate fonts for specific
     applications (e.g., Y&YTeX), and thus sidesteps the memory
     issues. Or so it seems from posts to techsupport

That's my layman's understanding. I believe there are others on this
list who know exactly what that rasteriser thing is ;-) and also know
what it is that ATM Deluxe is doing for them once activated again.

But whatever the details, I think the important thing to keep in mind
is this separation between installation and then subsequent
usage. Which seems a pretty TeX-ish thing -- after all, we have to
first write the macros before we can use 'em ;-)