XP reference guide ...

Blenda Horn blendacarlisle at yandy.com
Tue Oct 14 14:10:42 CEST 2003

From: Christina Thiele <cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca>
Date:  Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:07:41 -0400 (EDT)

>Mimi Burbank writes:
>>
>> On Oct14 11:33AM, Christina Thiele wrote:
>> > Since I'm facing an NT --> XP upgrade some day ;-)) my eye was caught
>>
>> I've got one - but I can't install my CD on it...  If yours
>> balks at the boites.sty being missing - it will not install...
>> on Windows 2000 it chugged right along after that, but on XP
>> it will not..
>
>But ... but ... ;-) There are lots of XP installations that people
>have done so perhaps it was just fatal on your machine? Well, I'll
>just have to deal with it when the time comes.

Hello everybody,

Including me ...Blenda :-). I burn the TeX Systems, and many times will
randomly take one of the ready to ship orders, and will install on my Windows
XP computer.  I recently wrote to the person who developed the software and
gave him a report of the installations.  Here is our email exchange: (I am
sure he wont mind).

At 2003-10-09 10:22, you wrote:

(Blenda)
>I noticed that the sequence changed after a burned the CD now shows
>setup.wise as first on the list.

OK, that makes sense, since it has to run setup.wse for every customization
(while setup1.wse is only needed when you "update" LaTeX).

>I ran systest, test_yyinstall and test_master, no problem, all is well.
>
>I checked serial.num...perfect.
>
>I installed the TeX System on my computer.  It installed perfectly.  I
>first installed the fonts, then I installed the TeX System, then chose
>LaTeX Base Installation. I chose not to install all the LaTeX files when
>prompted.
>
>I was congratulated on the installation :-).
>
>The installation went smoothly and error free.  I chose not to install all
>the LaTeX files when prompted. I opened the TeX System and checked the
>Help file and saw the enduser name and serial number.
>
>I checked the contents of the TeX System, there are no documents in to see
>all the menus, but the basic System is there and looks wonderful :-).

>PS.  I have no idea why people would find it difficult or have problems
>installing the TeX System.  I am no genius :-), and I think, if I can
>follow the very clear and idiot proof instructions supplied with the TeX
>System, so should anyone else.

It is amazing. All I can think is that he chose to "install" all of the
CTAN stuff and something went wrong there.  Or that there is something weird
about his disk space) or that he tried to install in a directory path that has
a space in the folder name (which should work also, but is not recommended).

If he continues to have problems it may be worth asking for him to email
dviwindo.ini.

If any person who owns a Y&Y TeX Systems and has a problem installing it on
Windows XP, please let me know.  I am going to notify the developer of the
software that there are owners of the TeX System who has a problem installing
their TeX Systems on Windows XP (Mimi)
I will send him this email, let's see how he responds.

Blenda Horn
Y&Y, Inc.