BibTeX question

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Nov 26 22:34:52 CET 2003

david ireland writes:

> Firstly, a big thanks to all who offered advice on installing new type 1
> fonts in XP.  Problem solved!  I'll post an 'idiot's' guide soon so that
> there is a record that might be useful for other non-experts.

that would be useful for "experts" too: it took an awful long time, it
seems to me...

the basic problem, as i see it, is that y&y latex is completely unlike
"normal" latex in this regard.

> Secondly, I have a question about bibtex.  I have a title.bib file with all
> the references formatted correctly, but it doesn't seem to work.  For
> example, here's one bib entry that is in the correct form:
>
> @BOOK{Keynes:36,
>   author       = {Keynes, John Maynard},
>   title        = {General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money},
>   year         = 1936,
>   publisher    = {Cambridge University Press},
>   address      = {Cambridge},
>
> In my document I have:
>
> \documentclass{book}
> \usepackage{natbib}
> \bibliographystyle{plain}
> \begin{document}
> When John Maynard \citet{Keynes:36} developed...
> \bibliography{title}
> \end{document}
>
> But when I process this I get "When John Maynard Keynes:36 developed..."
> (when I was expecting to get "...Maynard Keynes (1936) developed...").

natbib needs \bibliographystyle{plainnat} if you want it to do plain
style; with that you get "When John Maynard Keynes [1] developed..."

but you don't want plain style, so why use plain?

aiui, you can "just drop in" an appropriate author-date bib style; i
tried agsm (i don't know what it's _really_ for) and got the result
you wanted.

i don't know which bibstyles work in this way (the info may be in the
natbib manual which i've never read right through [i'm ashamed to
say]), but it seems likely the entire harvard set (of which agsm is
one) will do the necessary.

Robin Fairbairns

Y&Y support team
[one of those "experts"]