Installing Type I fonts in Windows XP

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Fri Nov 21 10:57:57 CET 2003

Mimi Burbank writes:

> with Windowx XP I believe you can use the "lite" version of ATM...
>   this might help with the displaying issue

I'm sorry to contradict, but ATM is NOT for installation at all on
Win2000/XP machines -- only for organising the fonts. So at this
point, I'd suggest keeping ATM out of the discussion. Also, I'd
suggest reviewing past mail messages to check whether it's lite that's
recommended -- or really contra-indicated -- for XP ;-) I forget. But
I don't believe ATM has anything to add at this point.

> 3)  in the c:\yandy\dvips\psnfssx folder is where I found the
>        basker.sty file on my unix box - so that is where I'd put
>        it...    You also need a "basker.map" file in there -
>        maybe cloned from one of the  other map files...
>
> 4) you might want to go to  http://ctan.tug.org   and
>    get the contents of
>
>     http://ctan.tug.org/tex-archives/fonts/psfonts/adobe/nbaskerv/
>

> you can download entire directories- so be careful what you choose  ;-)
>
> I don't think I'd use their tfm fonts though...

Agreed. The .tfm fonts have to have the same encoding -- texnansi, for
most of us -- as the PFB/PFM files. And I'd say that generating .tfm
files within DVIWindo is not only very easy (just button clicks) but
also the safest way to ensure that they've got the right encoding.